.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

DIY Vintage Top & Floral Skinnies | Pattern Review S1373 & S1365

Hi Darlings,

I am in full summer swing right now and am having a great time sewing all the spring/summer patterns I have been staring at since early fall. Simplicity has some great patterns for the season, so I pulled out two of my fav's from the latest collection and made the look below. I reviewed both the pants from Simplicity 1373 and the top Simplicity 1365 below.
DIY Pants Pattern HERE / DIY Top Pattern HERE / Steve Madden Heels HERE / Sunnies (old) / Aldo Yellow Clutch HERE

Pattern Description: Simplicity 1373 Misses' sportswear pattern includes slim pants and shorts with front and back darts and invisible side zipper. Simplicity 1365: Vintage 70' halter tops View D with gathered bodice, sweetheart neckline.


Fabric Used: I used a stretch denim in a floral print from my stash for the pants. There are some great options HERE, HERE, HERE or HERE and for the top I used a swiss dot voile found HERE, they also have it in several colors HERE

Pattern Sizing: For the pants I cut the size 6 and only had to remove about 1" total of ease in the crotch. I cut size 6 for the top.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope ? Yes, I think they both do.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I made the pants in 20 minutes. They are so super simple to sew up and look great. These are easy to fit and make for the perfect slim pant for so many looks. The top is fabulous! and the instructions are clear.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love this style of pant in general because they are flattering and easy to do when I don't want to spend too much time fussing with fitting pants. What is not to LOVE about these vintage tops.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None for the pants. The top is fully lined which I love so I bought two bra cups at Joann and tacked them down to the lining so I didn't have to wear a bra ;-)

Would you sew it again? Yes, these will stay in rotation for the summer.

Would you recommend it to others? YES, It is a great pant pattern and great for newbies too. The top is 







51 comments:

  1. Hello mimi,
    I get some question for you.when you use stretch fabrics, how do you know which one is the exact size that you have to cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she stated (maybe in a video) that she uses the finished measurements that are usually located on the pattern

      Delete
  2. Love it!!! Those pants are the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look but, how do you know when you have to cut down an 1" or adjust the pattern to your liking for it to fit properly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you would have to know your (crotch) measurements and use them against whats on the pattern. Threads.com has some sheets that you can print out to write down all of your measurements, including your crotch measurements.

      Delete
    2. I tried looking up threads.com. ...it didn't work. :0 (

      Delete
    3. I looked up threads.com and it didn't work. :0 (

      Delete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look!!! You make me want to quit my job and just stay at home and sew so I sew as well as you do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely beautiful. .great job..I think we have the same style:-)

      Delete
    2. You are absolutely beautiful. I believe we have the same style. #Keep Winning

      Delete
  5. This is a sassy little outfit Mimi! I love both pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because of you, I have fallen in love with prints. Those pants are charming and I really like the vintage top and tacking the bra cup into the lining was sneaky... but genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the print of the pants, great job on them,pants can be challenging. Love your top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi...Again, another FAB outfit!! Love it. I do have 2 requests..can you do a tutorial on choosing types of fabrics (if you have ..sorry). I would have never known there was this type of stretch woven! And 2...please do a tut on making pants...they have become my nemesis...ugh!! That is all...Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the material suggestions. i just ordered some. I think i will add some white cotton stretch sateen to the order for the top. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit! So glad you mentioned tacking the bra cup into the top, I definitely want to make something similar. Thank you, thank you for providing a link to the White Voile! I wanted so badly to make a top from fabric like this, but could only find Dry Clean only. So happy to find one that is washable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotta make that for this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is oh so cute and dfinitely EVERYTHANG ! :) Love m some floral prints on pants.Off to the sewing room I go.Yaaasss to the bra cup tacking !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, that's it. I'm buying a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This outfit is so cute and it says Summer! I love the entire outfit and I think I'll make some printed pants. Thanks Mimi. Continue blessing us with your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally have this pattern!!! Now I must sew it!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to order this. How do I order the top and the bottom?? I would need it before August 18th

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mini Im not a seem stress I just want thus outfit to purchase it's simply adorable

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable outfit, love it! You are killin it with these DIY projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE! Thanks for the tip about the bra cups. I have this pattern and was concerned about making it bra-friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where do you get the bra cups and do you get your actual size or some cups just to fill the top?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mimi. I'm working on a vest for my pastor that I thought would be simple. Turns out it is much more difficult than I thought. I usually love a challenge and always end up mastering it. I'm using a Vogue pattern (V8987 view A). It's a man's vest with a collar. I am stuck at the point where it says to pin the upper collar and facing to the under collar and front. When I do there is no way the collar will end up on the right side. I also can't get the lining and collar right. Have you sewn with Vogue patterns before? Maybe I'm missing something. Do you have a tut that I could follow?.

    Thanks for your help.
    Betty Beam in Shelby, Nc

    ReplyDelete
  22. There's a really cute stretch poplin on sale at MoodFabrics today that would be right for this top! http://www.moodfabrics.com/white-pastel-yellow-stretch-cotton-poplin-fc12824.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.